Stage 5: Spiritual Parent/Grandparent
Take Your Next Steps Below!
Win: You are wired to be a certain kind of spiritual leader! Unlock what that is, how it’s different from others, and step into it.
- What stirred in you as Pastor Josh walked you through APEST? Before taking an assessment, any guesses on what you might score high or low on?
- Who was a significant mentor or spiritual parent in your life? In your opinion, what was their APEST gifting?
- Now it’s your turn! Think about the 2-3 people that God used you to impact the most. Why did these people come to mind? How did you specifically impact them? What could this tell you about your APEST giftings?
5-Day Field Guide
- Complete the 5-Day Field Guide on what the Bible says about APEST. Consider journaling what you discover.
- Take an APEST Assessment at www.theforgottenway.org
- Share your results with your Impact Community or a trusted follower of Jesus. Invite them to respond and speak into your results.
- Ask your Ministry Leader for an opportunity to test your gifts more in the role you’re already serving in.
Win: Double down in your Kingdom assignment with focus and intentionality.
- What are your first thoughts around GPS? What are your gifts? What is your deepest passion? Where do you have experience that can help others?
- If you take a look at your current season, which area (G, P, or S) is non-existent in your schedule or priorities? Why do you think that is?
- “You can but others should” – what a hard-hitting truth from Pastor Jayson! Is there any area where you are doing something that others should be doing instead? What good things are distracting you from your “sweet spot”?
5-Day Field Guide
Day 1: Romans 12:1-8
Day 2: 1 Corinthians 3:1-10
Day 3: 2 Corinthians 10
Day 4: Philippians 3:1-14
Day 5: 1 Peter 4:1-11
- Complete the 5-Day Field Guide on what the Bible says about leading out of your “sweet spot.” Consider journaling what you discover.
- Complete this excercise: First, make a list of all the areas you are serving in. Secondly, rank them from most fulfilling to least fulfilling. Third, wrestle through this question: is your “sweet spot” even on this list?
- Pursue a conversation this week with someone who is living out a “sweet spot” similar to yours. Become a student of their “craft” and seek their input.
- Based on your APEST and GPS, make the decision to double down in your “sweet spot” and watch God get to work! Dream with God of all the possibilities and opportunities in front of you with this new intentional focus.
Win: Move into giving my life away for Kingdom purpose as a spiritual parent.
- In your life, who is someone that you think of who has “given their lives away” for Kingdom purpose?
- What circumstances, beliefs, or strongholds previously stood in your way of “giving your life” away? Is there anything left in heart to fully surrender?
- What excites you the most about helping God’s Kingdom break into our world? What new dreams and possibilities are sparked in you when you think about “giving your life away”?
5-Day Field GuideDay 3: Matthew 19:16-30Day 4: 2 Peter 1:1-21Day 5: Luke 12:35-48
- Complete the 5-day Field Guide on what the Bible says about the Kingdom of God and our part in it. Consider journaling what you discover.
- Schedule two focused times with God this week where you will allow Him to search your heart for anything unsurrendered that stands in the way of stepping into this.
- Strike up a conversation with someone who you know is “giving away their lives” for Kingdom purposes. Ask them about their heartbeat for this and how they came to stepping into it. Bonus: Both of you will be encouraged!
- Way to go! Let us know that you completed this step by clicking below or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We are proud of you for working through this!
Win: God is on a mission to speak power and Biblical significance into others! Learn the basics of shaping identity in others and start practicing it.
- As a spiritual parent, you must know how to explain what an identity in Christ is and what it looks like. How would you answer these questions today?
- As you rewind through your own story, what ICNUs were game changers for you?
- Most often, speaking prophetic words over others is a new concept and practice for spiritual parents. Have you had any experience in speaking prophetically? Are you excited or cautious about stepping into this? Why?
5-Day Field Guide
Day 1: Ephesians 1-2
Day 2: Ephesians 3
Day 3: Ephesians 4
Day 4: Ephesians 5
Day 5: Ephesians 6
- Complete the 5-Day Field Guide on what the Bible says about an identity in Christ. Consider journaling what you discover.
- Pray to be God’s mouthpiece of encouragement and truth this week to the people closest to you. Pray for them by name.
- Take Pastor Josh up on his challenge to ICNUs, propehtic words, and declaring Kingdom Identity this week!
- Create a Kingdom wave of identity by challenging those you’ve spoken to, to do the same for someone else.
Win: To find my voice in teaching God’s Word to those I am discipling.
- What communicators and Bible teachers have been impactful in your spiritual journey? What was it about their approach that resonated with you?
- In times that you have had to teach or share truth with others, what feedback or encouragement did you receive? What does this tell you about “you voice” and your style of teaching?
- In this week’s video, Pastor Josh prompted us to pay attention to what we are passionate about. What are 2-3 ideas in the Bible that you are most passionate about?
5-Day Field Guide
Day 1: 2 Timothy 2:2
Day 2: Colossians 3:16
Day 3: Proverbs 22:6
Day 4: 2 Timothy 3:16Day 5: Romans 10:17
- Complete the 5-Day Field Guide on what the Bible has to say about teaching the Bible to others. Consider journaling what you discover.
- Prep a 3-4 minute devotional based on what God is teaching you. Test it on those in proximity to you in an everyday situation (breakfast, car ride, virtual meeting, etc).
- Ask your ministry leader or Impact Community Leader for an upcoming opportunity to share a short devotional. Whether you know what you will say or not, get it on the calendar.
- As a spiritual parent, you have spiritual children in your life. Use your influence to open up an opportunity for them to share what God has been teaching them with others. Way to go! Let us know that you completed this step by clicking below or emailing email@example.com. We are proud of you for working through this!
Win: To capture a vision of the destination of our generosity journey and begin moving into it.
- What “money lessons” have you learned in your journey? Did these lessons come naturally or did you learn them the hard way?
- In the video, Pastor Josh describes the Generosity Journey – initial, intentional, consistent, generous, and extravagant. Where are you today? Why?
- What stands in your way of where you are today and extravagant giving? What beliefs, attitudes, or habits keep you from extravagant giving?
5-Day Field Guide
Day 1: 2 Corinthians 9:6-9Day 2: 2 Corinthians 9:10-15Day 3: Luke 6:17-26Day 4: 1 Timothy 6:3-10Day 5: 1 Timothy 6:11-21
- Complete the 5-Day Field Guide on what the Bible has to say about money and generosity. Consider journaling what you discover.
- Start you week by praying a dangerous prayer: “Lord, bring me opportunities this week to exercise extravagant generosity. give me the faith to walk in faith and boldness. Amen.”
- What small (but significant) step can you take to be an extravagant giver everyday this week? Remember it is not about the amount of money. It’s about sacrifice and obedience. Be sure to capture the joys and challenges of stepping into this as opportunities come up.
- Talk to someone who you would consider a generous or extravagant giver. Pay attention to what motivates them to step into increased generosity.
Win: To gain an understanding of what God is up to in corporate worship and join Him to battle for His purposes.
- What were some of your earliest experiences and ideas about worship?
- Pastor Lisa explained what worship looks like at different stages of spiritual maturity. How has your understanding and experience in worship shifted over time?
- If the goal of spiritual parents is to give everything to the Lord in worship, do you ever find yourself holding something back? If so, what is that and how would the Lord speak into that?
5-Day Field Guide
Day 1: Isaiah 25:1Day 2: Psalm 150:6Day 3: Psalm 63:1Day 4: 1 Chronicles 29:11Day 5: Psalm 63:3-4
- Complete the 5-Day Field Guide on what the Bible has to say about worship. Consider journaling what you discover.
- We were reminded in this week’s video that spiritual parents show up to corporate worship with a ton of “spiritual fruit” in hand. Create a plan for how you will double down in pursuing the Lord this week.
- Write down two questions on a notecard, in your phone, or somewhere else – God, what are You doing in the room? – AND – How can I partner with You?
- Stir the waters at your next corporate worship gathering with these two questions in hand. Obey boldly, steward the presence of God, and intercede for others around you. Afterward, share the experience with someone else.
Win: God has something to say and He wants to use you as His mouthpiece! Get trained up on hearing and deploying prophetic words.
- Why do you think God wants you use you (and other spiritual parents) to prophetically speak into the lives of others? How do you think this benefits His mission and His Kingdom?
- When was the last time God spoke to you? Is there a unique way that God speaks to you or makes His leading clear to you?
- Has God ever given you a word or a verse to speak over someone else? Did you back away from that or follow through with that?
5-Day Field Guide
Day 1: Joel 2:18-29
Day 2: 1 Corinthians 13
Day 3: 1 Corinthians 14:1-25
Day 4: 1 Corinthians 14:26-40
Day 5: 1 John 4:1-6
- Complete the 5-Day Field Guide on what the Bible says about prayer. Consider journaling what you discover.
- Spend time in prayer specifically asking God for words of wisdom and prophetic words for someone in your life. Be patient and expect God to show up.
- Whenever that word comes, deliver that word or message to whomever the Holy Spirit is directing you. Use the suggestions in the video to do that well.
- Way to go on completing this final stage! Share this accomplishment with us! Completing the Spiritual Parent stage is an invitation to take someone else through this pathway. We’d also love to hear your feedback to continue to make the Discipleship Pathway the best it can be. We are proud of you! Keep journeying with Jesus!